As an artist living in South Boston, I find a limitless source for my paintings. Sunny days and moonlit nights find me painting on neighborhood street corners. When painting outdoors is not possible, I work in my studio on larger scale paintings and works derived from old family photos, portraits or from small studies and photos of my on-site locations.
What interests me most about plein air painting is how sunlight breaks up form when it falls on an object. When working in this manner time is of the essence. I must return to the outdoor location at the same time, each day for the short period of time when the sun and shadows are at the same angle and position. I like to view the city as an urban canyon where shadows caused by the surrounding buildings create an unexpected pattern of dark and light.
My choice of subject matter, such as old buildings, antique cars and nightscapes pay homage to a disappearing landscape. With my portraits and old photograph derived works I am hoping to also portray an intimate moment in time. I hope that with these paintings I am able to celebrate these people and these landmarks.
Deb is a graduate of Mass College of Art with a BFA in painting. Born in New Hampshire, she has called South Boston her home for the past 30+ years.
Current and Past Exhibitions (last 10 years)
AWARDS AND HONORS
• 2015 Best in Show, Massasoit Arts Fest, Canton, Ma Company 2015 Best in Show, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy Ma Matter of Time - 2nd prize-Mass Ave Beauty
• 2014 First Prize, Massasoit Arts Fest, Canton, Ma AP
• 2013 First Prize, Quincy Art's Fest, Quincy Ma, Eve
First Prize, Massasoit Art's Fest, Canton Ma Path to Forgiveness
• 2012 First Prize, Quincy Art's Fest, Quincy Ma, Chinatown View
• 2012 Second Prize and Honorable Mention, Massasoit Arts Festival, Canton, Ma "The Gathering" and “Self Portrait (When can I go out to paint?)"
• 2012 Best in Show, SAA Juried Exhibition, Front Street Gallery, painting "In the Land of Giants"
• 2011 Best in Show, Massasoit Art Festival, Canton, Ma, painting "Alida's Vision"
First Prize, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy Ma, painting "Cale"
• 2010 Third Prize, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma, painting "The Few, The Proud”
• 2010 First Prize, Massasoit Art Festival, Canton, Ma, painting "Fred"
• 2009 First Prize Painting, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy, Ma, painting "Muls"
• 2009 Third Prize Painting, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma painting "Gate C"
• 2009 City's Choice Award, Downtown Crossing Juried Art Competition, Boston, Ma painting "Mul's"
• 2009 Third Prize, The Winter Juried Show, Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, Ma painting "Fred"
• 2008 First Prize, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy, Ma painting "Nightguard"
• 2008 Best in Show, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma, painting "Garden of Earthly Delights"
• 2008 Art Teacher's Renewal Grant
• 2007 Honorable Mention, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma, painting "I Got It"
• 2007 First Prize, painting "I Got It" (Fair Catch) QAA Spring Show, Thomas Crane Library, Quincy Ma
• BFA Painting, Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, Ma
• South Boston Arts Association
• Quincy Art Association