As a plein air artist living in South Boston, I find a limitless source for my paintings. Sunny days you will find me painting on neighborhood street corners or in downtown Boston. When painting outdoors is not possible, I work in my South Boston studio on larger scale paintings, portraits and other figurative works.
What interests me most about plein air city painting is how sunlight breaks up form when it falls on an object. I see the city as an urban canyon where shadows caused by the surrounding buildings create an unexpected pattern of dark and light. When working in this manner time is of the essence and I must return to the outdoor location at the same time each day for the short period of time when the sun and shadows are at the same angle and position. There is something extraordinary about working outdoors in the city, hunting a site, being immersed in the noise and action as well as interacting with the community.
With my choice of subject matter such as old buildings and nightscapes I hope to pay homage to a disappearing landscape. It is a common occurrence for my chosen subject matter to be a victim of urban renewal after I paint them. In my portrait, figurative painting and old photograph inspired work I hope to celebrate both an intimate and universal moment in time for the viewer. The shared experience of family and mealtime makes a frequent appearance in these works.
My oil paintings can be found in local art exhibitions and on-line at Saatchiart.com ,
I hold a BFA in painting from Mass College of Art, member of the Quincy Arts Association, Fort Point Artist Association
Current and Past Exhibitions (last 10 years)
AWARDS AND HONORS
2021 Best in Show, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Love and Remembrance
2019 3rd place, Arts Fest, Quincy Ma, Massasoit Music
2019 1st place Arts Affair, Marina Bay, He Greets the Day
2019 2nd place Massasoit Arts Fest Canton MA, The Muses
2018 Best in Show Quincy Arts Fest Waiting at Castle Island
2018 2nd Place Massasoit Arts Fest Canton MA, Out of the Blue
2017 Best in Show Massasoit Arts Fest Canton MA, More than Buildings
2016 1st place Quincy Arts Fest "Rainy Day"
• 2015 Best in Show, Massasoit Arts Fest, Canton, Ma Company
2015 Best in Show, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy Ma Matter of Time - 2nd prize-Mass Ave Beauty
• 2014 First Prize, Massasoit Arts Fest, Canton, Ma AP
• 2013 First Prize, Quincy Art's Fest, Quincy Ma, Eve
First Prize, Massasoit Art's Fest, Canton Ma Path to Forgiveness
• 2012 First Prize, Quincy Art's Fest, Quincy Ma, Chinatown View
• 2012 Second Prize and Honorable Mention, Massasoit Arts Festival, Canton, Ma "The Gathering" and “Self Portrait (When can I go out to paint?)"
• 2012 Best in Show, SAA Juried Exhibition, Front Street Gallery, painting "In the Land of Giants"
• 2011 Best in Show, Massasoit Art Festival, Canton, Ma, painting "Alida's Vision"
First Prize, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy Ma, painting "Cale"
• 2010 Third Prize, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma, painting "The Few, The Proud”
• 2010 First Prize, Massasoit Art Festival, Canton, Ma, painting "Fred"
• 2009 First Prize Painting, Quincy Arts Festival, Quincy, Ma, painting "Muls"
• 2009 Third Prize Painting, Arts Affair, Marina Bay, Quincy, Ma painting "Gate C"
• 2009 City's Choice Award, Downtown Crossing Juried Art Competition, Boston, Ma painting "Mul's"
• 2009 Third Prize, The Winter Juried Show, Art Complex Museum, Duxbury, Ma painting "Fred"
• BFA Painting, Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, Ma
Realist Academy, Boston Ma
Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Ma
Fort Point Studios, Boston Ma
Mass College of Art, Boston, Ma
Museum School, Boston Ma
• South Boston Arts Association
• Quincy Art Association